Thursday, March 5, 2015

2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks

I have been very down on the Arizona Diamondbacks in recent years, but no more. No more hating from me.


I thought the Dbacks did themselves enormous favors this last year when they fired manager Kirk Gibson and GM Kevin Towers.


I was a fan of neither and thought they did more harm, especially Towers, to this franchise than good.


But that is in the past and it is time to look to the future.


And the future, to me, in the desert, looks tremendous.


Arizona offensively should have a tremendous season. A healthy Paul Goldschmidt is going to be an MVP candidate. He’s proven that’s the type of player he is.


If Mark Trumbo is healthy, he is a big bopper in their lineup.


In addition, how Yosmani Tomas adjusts to the American game is going to be interesting. Personally, I don’t think Tomas’ Cuban numbers would put him into superstar status. Could he be an All-Star? He could be. Based on what he did in Cuba, the Dbacks have signed a very solid player. I don’t think we’re looking at a Yasiel Puig or Yoenis Cespedes type player, but I think all around, Tomas is going to be solid, and I look forward to seeing what he does.


Another guy I think is due for a good year is Chris Owings. After finally settling a very unclear shortstop situation, Owings finally has the job, and I think that peace of mind alone is going to allow him to play well this year. I think Owings could easily hit for a .300 average, and steal 20-25 bases, if not more. If he can set the table for the middle of this order consistently, Arizona should once again score a lot of runs.


When I look at the Dbacks, I have few questions about their offense, but it is the pitching that draws the biggest questions.


Josh Collmenter should be a solid starter. Being the top of the rotation guy is a great opportunity for him and I think Collmenter could turn into a 200 inning guy and have a very strong ERA.


However, after Collmenter, the Dbacks rotation is very sketchy. Jeremy Hellickson had a nice run in Tampa, but I don’t know that he can return to his old self given the velocity he’s lost in the last year.


Rubby de la Rosa had his moments last year in Boston, but again, can he do it for 25 to 30 starts? I seriously question that he can and provide quality outings.


While Allan Webster’s numbers in Boston were horrendous, I do think eventually he will be a good pitcher. He was highly regarded out of the Dodger organization and moved to Boston in the Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez trade. His minor league numbers are very good, and if he can get it going, I do think eventually he will be a solid two or three starter. But again, in 2015? I have my doubts he puts it all together this year.


While the present pitching staff doesn’t look all that tremendous, I think by the end of 2015 we could be looking at one of the more brilliant staffs in baseball.


Archie Bradley is of course the highlight of the young arms in Arizona, but they have some dynamic young players that could eventually be solid starters.


Two guys I really like a lot are Braden Shipley and Aaron Blair could (should) be making starts by September and by next year will be talked about as one of the top combos of young pitchers among any in baseball. In their first full year of pro ball, Blair and Shipley flew through the minor leagues and are another example of why I am so high on investing in elite college arms. The development time is much less than a high school arm and they move through the system quickly in so many cases.


But I ask you not to sleep on guys like Robbie Ray (right), who has long been regarded as a top left-handed pitching prospect. I think by mid-season he could have a role in the rotation and next year will be yet another of these highly regarded arms the Dbacks have all of a sudden stocked up on.


In addition to Ray, there’s another Cuban prospect Arizona has invested in as Yoan Lopez has people all around the baseball world intrigued. Great size and an “intriguing repertoire”, Lopez adds yet another option of high upside pitchers.


Friends, by the end of the year, we should have a great look at what Arizona is going to roll out going into 2016, and to be quite frank, it is scary.

Look out LA and San Fran, the Dbacks are coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment