Thursday, April 2, 2015

2015 Preview: Miami Marlins

I feel like I have been on two teams that are going to open eyes this summer for a long time, and one is the Miami Marlins.


After spending a ton of money and making big moves just three years ago, that did not necessarily translate to wins (which is why I write the Padres may struggle), the Miami Marlins blew things up, started over.


Now in their third year in Marlins Park, I feel like people are saying the Marlins are going to be good, but I truthfully don’t feel like they realize how good they are actually going to be.



The Marlins made a huge move in the offseason for one of the most underrated top of the rotation arms in all of baseball.


Matt Latos brings a solid resume to Miami. His ERA annually hovers around the 3-mark and you can consistently pencil him in for 30-33 starts per year, 200 innings and 180-plus strikeouts.


I absolutely love Matt Latos in this rotation in 2014 and expect his ERA to drop given the expansive park he pitches in and the absolutely under-the-radar guy he has been.


Latos has been solid, personally, I predict a Cy Young type of career year for him.


Another great addition late last year in Miami was Jarred Cosart. A once top prospect in Houston, the ‘Stros moved one of their top young pitchers for some young bats, and in effect gave Miami’s pitching rotation even more fire power.


In 10 starts in Miami last year, Cosart threw to a 2.39 ERA despite a 4-4 mark and coming from a 4.41 ERA in 20 starts in Houston.


Cosart is dealing with an investigation by MLB over allegations he may have involved himself in gambling. Not much is out there on what exactly is going on and he hasn’t thrown in almost two weeks, but whenever this ruling comes down from major league baseball and at whatever point Cosart rejoins the rotation, I think this guy is going to be a big time acquisition for Miami. I truly believe he could be a 185-200 inning pitcher that with time will see his strikeouts increase.


A lot of people are saying the Marlins will contend next year with Jose Fernandez back in this lineup. At this point, I disagree. I think this pitching is good enough, I’ll address the offense momentarily, and I think they are good enough to keep this team in the conversation of a Wild Card at the minimum, maybe even close to the top of the division.


And once you get Jose Fernandez back, it’s like adding an ace at the trade deadline.


And how could I forget my guy Henderson Alvarez. This basically unknown commodity broke out in a big way in 2014, and anyone who knows, would remember I was screaming from the mountain tops this guy was going to be big for Miami.


A 12-7 mark with a 2.65 ERA doesn’t show just how big he was last year. Alvarez threw three complete game shutouts and logging 30 starts and nearly reaching 200 innings, I look for Alvarez to get a big bump in the “W” column and to continue his rise as one of the game’s excellent young pitchers.


The drawback with Alvarez is he isn’t a big time strikeout guy but to me, I don’t mind that in the least, given his effectiveness.


I think a 2.65 ERA is going to be very difficult to replicate, but in that massive ballpark and with the excellent defense he has behind him, it is completely possible.


As for the offense, the Marlins quietly have one of the best outfields in the National League.


I wrote on Marcell Ozuna back in February, and I don’t think his 23 homerun campaign of 2014 was his breakout year, I think it’s this year. I’ll let you read it and find out why.


As for Christian Yelich, he is in for a big time year. He already hits for a high average. His home run totals to this point are a little disappointing, but if he’s getting on base and using his speed, let it slide he doesn’t hit a lot of home runs. Yelich was an elite prospect not that long ago and now he’s on his way to a big time season.


Two acquisitions in the offseason the Marlins made I cannot help but be in love with.


Michael Morse coming over from the World Champion Giants is nothing short of a stellar move. A guy with winning experience, a guy who knows the grind of the MLB season, and frankly, a guy that can still ball.


I think his 20-plus home run years are behind him, but Morse is as clutch as they come, he still knows how to hit and get on base, and again, the experience he brings is absolutely fantastic. Loved that move.


Other move I greatly liked was acquiring Martin Prado from the Yankees. I didn’t like the price tag they paid, giving up Nate Eovaldi, but he is another professional hitter that respects the game, knows the grind, can still produce, and one thing I didn’t mention about Morse that is true for both he and Prado, is they are very versatile. They can play multiple positions and give the Marlins a shot in the arm when needed.


Both Prado and Morse consistently are on base at a .330 or better clip and I don’t expect that to change.


Them getting on base is going to be huge in competing in the East.


Don’t look now, but shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria really broke out last year. Primarily kept in the top prospect conversation because of his defense, he hit a career high .276 with 148 hits, mostly at the bottom of the order.


What’s encouraging about Hechavarria, is his Batting Average on Balls in Play (BABIP) jumped up from a poor .270 in 2013 to a solid .323 in 2014. Additionally, his line drive rate has gone up each year since he’s joined the big leagues and was a stellar 27% in 2014.


I do think Hechavarria has a similar stat line in 2015 and if he does what he did last year at the bottom of the order, he makes this lineup that much deeper.


The Marlins rotation will only get better and deeper when when Jose Fernandez returns, and if the Marlins are right there in the playoff hunt, I look for them to make a move and get in.


Guys, I really think we’re underestimating how good the Fish are actually going to be in 2015. I think they win close to, if not, 90 games and make the playoffs.

I do believe they can challenge Washington in the East and begin to close that gap between the ‘Nats and everyone else out east.

No comments:

Post a Comment