Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Minor League Watch List: Part II

I wasn’t planning on writing about this but it kind of fits perfectly into the follow up I was planning for from my Monday post.


The Arizona Fall League Roster was announced Sept. 1 and a number of guys I actually planned on writing on are on the list, so I’ll go ahead and take the opportunity to discuss some of those names and guys I’m looking forward to.


Cubs RHP Pierce Johnson has a tremendous opportunity to make up for some of the innings injuries has cost him this fall at in this year’s Arizona Fall League. I tweeted a little while ago that Johnson reminds me a little of Jacob deGrom. Johnson has had a tough time staying healthy since becoming a professional in 2012. If Johnson can give a good showing in the AFL, look for him to find himself at Wrigley sometime next summer.




Guy I'll be watching very closely at the AFL? SEA LHP James Paxton. To me he's been enormously disappointing. He needs a strong showing. I wrote about Paxton this winter thinking he would be a big time breakout guy but he has been hurt almost all year.

I’m starting to lose faith in Paxton but a strong AFL performance could sway me.


The Surprise Saguaros roster in roster also intrigues me with several guys I hope to watch a little bit. Some real athleticism in their outfield including Texas’ Lewis Brinson, KC OF prospect Bubba Starling and MIL OF Brett Phillips. Those three guys that could be solid MLB contributors and should learn a lot from their experience in Arizona.


Looking forward to seeing Diamondbacks OF prospect Gabby Guerrero this fall. From the great Guerrero bloodlines, Guerrero is a high upside bat that could put himself on the map of prospect hot sheets everywhere with a strong AFL. I’m really hoping he has a good showcase.


The Scottsdale Scorpions roster in the Arizona Fall League has me very intrigued. Among the number of guys I'll be watching are INF JaCoby Jones (DET), OF/1B Adam Brett Walker (MIN) and Cleveland OF Bradley Zimmer. I think all three could find themselves in the big leagues in the next year or so. They should learn a lot that will prepare them for big league debuts next year. I really like their upside.

The Texas Rangers are sending once top-prospect Jurickson Profar to the AFL. Why is that of interest?

Profar made a splash in the big leagues in his first taste, but in my opinion, his chances of success were drastically reduced when former-Rangers manager Ron Washington moved him all over the field and he never found his groove. Since, he's battled a shoulder injury that threatened the future of his career.

While Profar's status of a top-prospect is likely long gone, his potential as a dynamic big leaguer likely isn't.

I'll be curious to see what Profar has to offer off the injury. For Profar, it won't be about numbers but rather how he looks physically.

Couple tidbits from the AFL for this coming October and November:


  • Phillies top prospect J.P. Crawford will be the youngest player on any of the six rosters at the age of 20. Crawford has been stellar in his year and a half of professional baseball and if he excels in tougher competition, especially among much older and experienced players, that could very well be the catalyst to his ascension to Philadelphia next summer.
  • Cardinals top prospect Alex Reyes will pitch in this year's Arizona Fall League. Reyes is having a big time year in 2015, albeit in less than 100 IP, but none the less, the results are there for the young guy (who just celebrated his 21st birthday). The Cardinals don't exactly have a lot of room in their rotation for a new arm, but as St. Louis has done time and time again, they may introduce Reyes to the big leagues late next year with some seasoning in the bullpen.
  • Just a few other names I'll be watching in this year's fall season are: 
    • White Sox prospect Courtney Hawkins (OF) 
    • Pirates' prospects Reese McGuire (C) and Austin Meadows (OF)
    • Oakland LHP Sean Menaea
    • Tampa 1B Casey Gillaspie

No comments:

Post a Comment