Thursday, September 3, 2015

Illinois Football: 3 Crazy Predictions

The college football season opens tonight and as we do so, I have some crazy predictions for this year.


I wrote Tuesday about Illinois football and here are three crazy predictions for the Illinois football season:


  1. Illinois will have 3 All-Big Ten athletes


In my preview for this season, I put out a number of guys I think are going to have excellent campaign’s. So pick three between LEO Carroll Phillips, DT Jihad Ward QB Wes Lunt, WR Geronimo Allison, LB Mason Monheim, OL Ted Karras. I think three of those guys show up on first or second team All Big Ten lists in the postseason.


  1. Illinois Will Force More Turnovers Than They Commit


In 2014, only four times in 13 games was Illinois in the plus-margin in turnovers. I think they double that this year.


I say that will be better because I outlined what should be a better pass rush on their defensive front, on top of a more experienced and deeper secondary.


Illinois must win the turnover battles.


Additionally, six times they were in the negative-margin in the turnover battle. A huge key for the Illinois defense this year will be getting off the field on 3rd and 4th down. Illinois opponents converted just better than 40% (42%) of their third down conversions.


  1. The Illini will win more Big Ten games than they lose


In three years under Tim Beckman and not since 2007 has Illinois had a winning Big Ten record. I say that changes this year.


Illinois’ Big Ten home games are Wisconsin, Nebraska, Ohio State, Northwestern (@ Soldier Field - however much of a “home game” that is).


Illinois’ Big Ten away games are @Penn State, @Iowa, @Purdue, @Minnesota.


At Memorial Stadium in Big Ten games, I’m going to say Illinois goes 1-2. I really want to say Illinois goes 2-1 but obviously Ohio State is a sure fire loss, and I think Illinois might just have enough to beat both Wisconsin and Nebraska, who I might remind you, are under first year coaches. (I guess technically so is Illinois) Overall I think Illinois ends up at 2-2 in home games.


The road schedule is brutal for the Illini but I think they get wins at Iowa, Purdue, and I’m going to go back on what I said in my preview and say they will beat Minnesota again. After all, this is my crazy prediction segment, so let’s get crazy!

There you go friends. Bash away!

No comments:

Post a Comment