Friday, September 20, 2013

Football Friday: Week 3 Preview

It's a football Friday and for only week 3 in the NLF, there's already some pretty significant games scheduled. I don't think there's any game that have huge implications, but there's a few teams that really need a win.

CHIvsPIT - This is one game where a team really needs a win. I've said all along, I don't expect the Steelers to have a good year, they legitimately face falling to 0-3. The Bears have really surprised this year. The Steelers really need to find that pass rush if they're going to be successful in this game. They can't give Jay Cutler a lot of time to throw. The Bears defense too needs to find it's pass rush also. I think the team that does, may just come out on top.

GBvsCIN - My opinion: this is the game of the week. A lot of people may point to that Houston/Baltimore game. But I think you're looking at a pair of contenders in the NFC/AFC and neither team wants to fall to 1-2. The absolute murders row of early season games continues for Green Bay. Whichever team loses could be considered the most dangerous 1-2 team in the league.

HOUvsBAL - Story line here, Ed Reed returns to his former stomping grounds. The Texans could really use a win in this game. They've had good wins since becoming contenders over the past few years, but I think a win here is a signature win and I think people would give them a little more respect in the AFC. The Ravens haven't played bad football, but they haven't played good football either. This is a game for them to really get on track and feel good about themselves if they can get a win.

ARIvsNO - This is a big game for both teams. Make no mistake about it, I like the Cardinals and think they are up and coming, but this is a big test for them. I don't think they necessarily need to win, but they need to play well. I think they are poised to make this game interesting. A very good secondary against a team with a good receiving core. For the Saints, they need to keep rolling to keep themselves atop the NFC South.

STLvsDAL - This game is rather intriguing for me. Like Arizona, I like St. Louis a lot, and think they are up and coming, but this is going to be an interesting road test. St. Louis' defense is actually a lot more complete than people realize. This will be a good test for them. For the Cowboys, they really need to bring their A-game, especially on defense. I think St. Louis gives them a good game, and wouldn't be surprised if they pull off the upset.

ATLvsMIA - If the Dolphins are as good as people think (I'm skeptical), they need to play well in this game. I don't think they need to win. I think Miami is starting to turn some heads, and Atlanta is an elite team. It's going to be hard to win this one, even at home, but the Fish need to make a statement and make Atlanta earn this win, especially with all the injuries the Falcons are facing. I think for a national image, the Dolphins can't get blown out.

BUFvsNYJ - I think this is a rather interesting game. The Jets are very close to being an 0-2 team, but have played two tough games and are 1-1. The Bills are the same way. This wouldn't be a signature win by any means for either team, but the winner has to come out feeling very good going to 2-1.

Quick notes on other games... 

TBvsNE - This could actually be a good game, though it seems Tampa is playing in quick sand while self-destructing. The Pats have to take advantage of that. 

NYGvsCAR - The Giants really need a victory. Falling to 0-3 would be disasterous. Carolina is battling big injuries in their secondary. The Giants have to take advantage of that. The lack of pass rush is concerning for New York.

JAXvsSEA - Who knows how big this line could be by game time Sunday, but in all honesty, the Seahawks could easily meet that line. I don't know why, I have hunch they won't, but they should win this game easily.

DETvsWAS - Big game for both sides here. Should be a shoot out, but the improved defense of Detroit may be the difference here.

INDvsSF - I don't anticipate this being a close game for a number of reasons. First, Colin Kaepernick and CO can't be happy about their performance last week. Second, the Indy defense is just not that good (See Week 1 vs Oakland). I look for the Niners to get off to a fast start, and not let up.

Not a must watch match-up really anywhere, but like I said from the start, some meaningful early season games for several teams.

No comments:

Post a Comment