Wednesday, March 29, 2017

2017 AL West Preview

  1. Houston Astros - I really love this team. One through nine in this order, there's no breaks. On the surface, the pitching leaves a little to be desired but I think there's enough there to win the division and I think that's what they do.

Bold prediction: We find out Yuli Guriel needs more seasoning, AJ Reed forces Houston to find another position for Guriel, which may not be possible given the depth the organization has.

Breakout player: Joe Musgrove SP

  1. Seattle Mariners - I've never been one to go all in with Seattle. If ever there was a year to do it, this would be the one and I'm just not going to fall into that trap. This team is going to score a lot of runs and they should pitch really well. But I'm not going to fall for the perpetual tease that is the Seattle Mariners. Don't @ me.

Bold prediction: The Ms play in the highest scoring American League Wild Card game to date.

Breakout player: Mitch Haniger OF

  1. Texas Rangers - In my opinion, the Rangers sold the cattle and livestock of the operation and now they're left with enough assets to look pretty from the highway but it's all downhill from there. They've got some nice pieces but I'm not sold they have enough to get back to the playoffs. Just too many questions for me. Back end of the rotation. Corner outfield spots. Bullpen is a huge question in my mind.

Bold prediction: Carlos Gomez returns to being a 20/20 player is the American League’s Comeback Player of the Year.

Breakout player: Tanner Scheppers RP

  1. Oakland Athletics - There's a lot to like about the A’s. In my mind, the team they start the year with will look vastly different than the one they end the year with. There's lots of young talent coming and it should give Oakland fans a lot of optimism, but I'm not optimistic they have enough to win now.

Bold prediction: Sean Manea emerges as one of the top young pitchers in the game and wins at least 16 games.

Breakout player: Ryon Healy 3B/DH
  1. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim - Give Mike Trout a lot of credit. He is committing to a real dumpster fire on the west coast. No farm system. A pitching staff of who's who to go through the offices of Dr James Andrews. And an offense that tops the AARP list of highest earners. The Angels will not only be the West's cellar dwellers for years, but the American League and baseball’s.

Bold prediction: Not even the sympathy vote is enough to win Trout the MVP this year. It's not a popular opinion or even likely, but the Angels need to trade him and get lots and lots of prospects.

Breakout player: If I have to pick one, CJ Cron 1B/DH

No comments:

Post a Comment