Saturday, November 21, 2015

40 Man Roster Day, Andrew Benintendi & Alex Guerrero & Yasiel Puig

Baseball will be buzzing in the next few weeks as the Rule 5 draft approaches along with the winter meetings right around the corner.

So with all that said, I was pretty locked into the baseball yesterday and I'll share a lot of my findings today.

  • I'll start with 40 man roster additions from Friday.

Three names I'm excited about being added?

Michael Fulmer - DET RHP
Brandon Nimmo - NYM OF

I've written about all three in some capacity in the last few years and while it was unintentional, I the amount of excitement I have is in the order they're listed.

Here's a recent ditty I did on Fulmer:

I said after the Yoenis Cespedes trade happened, Michael Fulmer would be the #Tigers top prospect going into 2016. (PSSSST I was right)

He will likely start the year in the bullpen but I would bet the ranch he ends the season as their best starting pitcher.

FYI: Fulmer is from Oklahoma. Dylan Bundy and Archie Bradley were the two guys in the 2011 draft with all the hype but Fulmer was an under the radar first rounder.

Come this time next year, we might be talking about Detroit's ace for years to come.

  • Eddie Martinez

The Cubs decisions about where guys fit is only going to get tougher in the next couple years.

Cuban prospect Eddie Martinez will be nothing short of special and in a crowded outfield, the question isn't will he fit, but who will move to make him fit?

  • Andrew Benintendi

RedSox prospect Andrew Benintendi (LH OF) will be the real deal. The Arkansas product gives you a little bit of everything offensively and conceivably has no weaknesses.

Not far away from being in Boston (or somewhere else if the Red Sox choose to move him).

In his first taste of professional baseball, the kid walked more than he struck out (34/24 BB/K) and hit 7 HR with 7 SB.

I'm no Red Sox fan, but I can't wait to see what this young man can do.

  • Alex Guerrero/Yasiel Puig

Guerrero turned 29 Friday; rejuvenating the anger in me that he went from utility full time player and one of the National League’s best hitters to so deep on the bench, in the last three months of the season grew barely got the amount of at bats he got in April and May.

On top of that, the Dodgers continue to be a clown show.

It came out Friday, the daddy of one of their part time players goes to the media claiming Clayton Kershaw is lobbying for the trade if Yasiel Puig.

I have so many issues on this front. I like the Dodgers and think they can be such a dominant franchise, but this kind of garbage just leaves me wondering all too often, what exactly is happening in Los Angeles?

But to wrap up my Guerrero thought; I'm really hoping the front office of LA finds loving homes for Puig and Guerrero because I think their talents are left beyond unappreciated in the City of Angels.

I'll be honest, as a Mets fan, I'd send a nice package of players the Dodgers way for these two, and, no it wouldn't include The Big 4 pitchers.

  • Paul DeJong

If you follow me on twitter or instagram, you know I love me some Paul DeJong.

The ISU product finally cracked the Cardinals mlb.com/pipeline top prospect list at no. 30.

DeJong is a one size fits all fielder that has the bat to play major league baseball.

He's another guy that doesn't strike out (52/29 K/BB) and again, does a little of everything. (9 HR, 13 SB)

Talking w/ folks at ISU, he was a walk on who earned everything he got. I don't know about anyone else, but THAT'S the guy I want on my team.

I'm no Cardinals fan, but I'm rooting for him.

Just a few final thoughts…

  • Guy that flew up the Yankees top prospect list this last year? James Kaprielian. Finished the summer at Low-A and the 3 NYY post-season prospect, after being drafted in June.

    I can't say I'd be surprised if this UCLA product ended up the Bronx Bombers 'pen in September with a rotation spot in 2017. Gonna be a very good player.

  • It's time for Mariners OF prospect Austin Wilson to establish himself. Will be 24 and hasn't played past A-ball. Very toolsy player I watched at Stanford and thought had a lot of promise. I'll be rooting for him too next year.

  • For being a power hitter, Marlins 1B Justin Bour's 101 Ks in 2015 was very impressive. Believe it or not, Bour was top 10 in the NL among 1B in SLG, OPS, & HR.

  • One thing the 2017 Atlanta Braves are going to do is keep teams off the board. The biggest question though is can they, themselves, get on the board?

Happy holidays friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment