Friday, October 4, 2013

Football Friday: Week Five Preview

It's another Football Friday and the surprises, disappointments, and panic can start to be addressed with some legitimacy.

As we head to week five of the NFL season, we'll head right through the league game by game.

PHIvsNYG - If ever there was a "ToiletBowl" match up, this would be it. Neither of these defenses could stop a peewee offense right now, and both offenses have struggled greatly the last few weeks. So it's really a bad example of an unstoppable force vs an immovable object. I think The Giants finally come through at home. They generally play Philly pretty tough, especially at home. I think the Giants defense is helped a lot by Jon Beason, if he can play. And I think they get just enough to get by Philly and their gimmick-y offense under Chip Kelly. NYG 27 Philadpelphia 17

NOvsCHI - This is really a matchup I've thought a lot about this week, and here's why. I think I may have overrated the Bears just a little bit. Their defense is creating turnover, but if they aren't taking the ball away, they are giving up big chunks of yardage. I think the Saints are playing well in all facets of the game. They don't turn the ball over, and they force turnovers on defense. I think this is a close game, and I'm very torn on this result. The Saints are not a great road team, the Bears are a very good home team. Bears 20 Saints 19

NEvsCIN - The Pats are playing as good of football as anyone, and after a tremendous win in Atlanta Sunday, the Patriots are an elite team, with or without quality receivers. The Bengals need a win in a bad way.Teams playing with desperation against a New England team, they rarely do well. But I think the Bengals are a different type of desparate. I think their defense is due for a solid effort. I'm hesitantly taking the Bengals, but if the Pats win, I'm not going to be surprised either. Bengals 34 Pats 28

DETvsGBP - Home team off the bye. Green Bay needs a win. But the Lions are playing with a lot of confidence. You know the Packers have focused their attention solely on shutting down Calvin Johnson. Reggie Bush is obviously not hampered by an injury that kept him out a few weeks ago. We should be in for a shoot out in CheeseHead Land Sunday. Green Bay 38 Detroit 28

KCvsTEN - The Titans took advantage of a very weak offensive unit for the Jets last week. I'll get to them in a minute. But the Chiefs are playing a high level right now. I just don't buy the 3-1 Titans. Chiefs roll on the road. Chiefs 20 Titans 15

SEAvsIND - I doubted Seattle's ability to win on the road. I've doubted the Colts in a few big games. The 'Hawks are as tough as they come right now. This will be a big test for Luck and the Colts. I think they play well enough to win, but Seattle doesn't beat themselves, and the Colts in return can't beat themselves. I'm taking the Colts at home in a low scoring game. Colts 17 Seahawks 13

JAXvsSTL - Well if ever there was an opportunity for the Jags to get their first win, this is it. A couple key additions off injury/suspension for Jacksonville. But I think the Rams are too talented to stay in the rut their in. Rams roll at home. St. Louis 20 Jacksonville 16

BALvsMIA - The Dolphins are coming off a pretty embarrassing loss in New Orleans last week. The Ravens are coming off an embarrassing loss as well. The Ravens are showing their not a good team on the road in the early season. I think the Dolphins rebound at home, though it will be a close, low scoring game. Dolphins 17 Ravens 16

CARvsARI - Carolina is playing decent football, and coming off the bye on the road could be tough. Arizona is not playing good football as their offense has not been good. If ever there was a game for them to bounce back, this is the week. Look for a big week from Larry Fitzgerald against a pretty weak Carolina secondary. Arizona 23 Carolina 17

DENvsDAL - It doesn't matter where, when, and who the Broncos play, they beat everybody. I don't think Dallas is up for this test, and the NFC East will continue to falter. Denver rolls on the road in the Jerry Dome. Denver 41 Dallas 31

HOUvsSF - The Texans have been very disappointing without question. They've lost two big games, and one at home, which was really bad. The same goes for the Niners, though they did a much needed, and frankly expected win in St. Louis last week. I am curious how the athleticism of the Texans defense does against the Niners option offense. I think this could be a low scoring game, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a shoot out. I think the slide for the Texans continues, and the Niners win a big game. Niners 30 Texans 21

SDvsOAK - If Terrell Pryor can play, and I think he will, I like the Raiders in this one. I know the Chargers offense is playing really well. But I think the energy and athleticism Pryor brings is enough to lift the Raider. Raider 24 Chargers 21

NYJvsATL - This is a perfect storm for the Falcons. They desperately need a win. The Jets are really banged up on offense. I think the Falcons roll. Atlanta 34 Jets 13

That's a wrap. Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. good blog. pats are gonna take it but other than that keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete